Saturday, April 2, 2011

I can cook too: Lasagna Rolls

So you know I eat a lot at a lot of different places but did you know I also cook?

I love cooking. I find it therapeutic and relaxing; I can always de-stress when I cook. So I decided Im going to post recipes onto this blog and pass on the knowledge.

I cooked this recipe a while a back. I didnt have nutmeg at the time so I opted it out but it was still delicious and the great part of it was that it was a lot healthier than regular lasagna that you would get at like an Olive Garden or something.

Lasagna Rolls
 (Yea I cooked that; impressed?)

You'll Need:
10-12 long, thin lasagna noodles (about 6 oz)
6 oz Italian-style chicken or turkey sausage, casings removed
1 bag frozen spinach, thawed
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
2 cups bottled marinara
3/4 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella

How to Make It:
*Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook until al dente (usually about 30 seconds to a minute less than the package instructions recommend). Drain and toss with just enough oil to coat (to keep them from sticking).
*While the pasta cooks, brown the sausage in a large saute pan over medium heat until cooked through. Add the spinach, pepper flakes, and nutmeg and cook until the spinach is warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Combine with the ricotta in a large mixing bowl.
*Preheat the oven to 400F. Spread a thin layer of the marinara on the bottom of a 13" x 9" baking dish. Lay out the noodles on a cutting board and cut each in half cross-wise. Working one strip at a time, place a large spoonful of the spinach-ricotta mixture at the end of the noodle, then roll into a tight package (but not too tight or the filling will squeeze out). Continue until you've run out of the ricotta-spinach mixture, about 20 lasagna rolls. Place the rolls in the pan as you complete each one.
*Top the lasagna rolls with the remaining marinara, then with the mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes, until the cheese and sauce are bubbling.

Recipe from "Cook This, Not That! Easy & Awesome 350-Calorie Meals" by David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com