Friday, April 8, 2011

No Problem, mon.

I just had a Jamaican revival for my taste buds and it was great.

Back in college, I studied-abroad in Jamaica (studying tropical marine ecology, swimming, catching fish, sun-bathing. Pretty cool huh? But I digress) and I absolutely loved the food there. Jerk chicken, curry goat, red snapper, akee fruit (a fruit that is toxic to eat raw but when cooked looks like scrambled eggs), rice and beans, festival (fried dough), all good stuff.
This picture was taken during my study-abroad trip to Jamaica. I think the place we ate at was called, The Ultimate Jerk. Good food memories.

Recently I thought about this recollected memory and then started to have a craving for Jamaican food. But living in New York City I wondered where can I find some good Jamaican food. Good ol' trusty Yelp.com was there to help and looked up this place called, the Islands, to satisfy this curious craving.

The place was literally a hole in the wall. I guess it wasnt open or something but the place was small and cramped. There were also lots of boxes around and the chairs were up so I think they were restocking their food or something but the chef in the kitchen cooking away and said the place was open. I asked him if it was possible to make a combination plate of Jerk Chicken and Curry Goat with rice and beans and he was gladly able to do it. I also made small talk with him about my trip to Jamaica and how I loved food and etc. He was quite impressed that I know about the famous different foods of Jamaica. Overall, he had great Jamaican hospitality and gave me lots of food. $12 for a custom-made plate wasnt really a bad deal at all.

I must say it didnt compare to what I had in Jamaica but it was close. The jerk chicken had a lot of great spices and the meat fell off the bone. The curry goat was good too; lots of sauce and the goat was nice and soft and immediately fell off the bone. The vegetable, ehh I wasnt too crazy for; it just tasted like boiled mush. The rice and beans was good too so no complaints there. Regardless, food not cooked in its native country cant compare to food that is cooked in its native country. But it was good food.

But this was the result so I must have enjoyed it. I was also incredibly hungry. Hurray for left-overs.

So my quest continues to find Jamaican food that is close and on par with actual Jamaican food.  But it was good to bring back good memories of good food and good times in Jamaica.

If you're ever in Jamaica, the "Ultimate Jerk Centre" is located along the main road between Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. http://ultimatejerkcentre.com/index.html
But if you want a closer location, "The Islands" is at 803 Washington Ave (between Sterling Pl & St Johns Pl) Brooklyn, NY 11238 (very close to the Brooklyn Museum)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com